background

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Your Mission...

...if you choose to accept it...


*Mission Impossible Theme playing*
Bum Bum Dudda   Bum Bum Dudda


Is to read through this very long post...
Are you up to the challenge?
It was Maggie's Spy themed 6th Birthday last Sunday.


In the sealed envelope on the left of the invitation, was a coded message...




Agent Maggie in her Field Uniform talking on her satellite phone, next to her briefcase of gadgets and sensitive files.



Before her fellow spies could report for duty, they needed to be processed....





After being gathered in the debriefing room...


they were told of their suspect.  The Puzzler.  Called such because of his penchant for riddles and cleverness.


Can you see how all the scenes of his crimes make a question mark when connected?


(My Mom is pointing to her own address that I posted as one of the Puzzler's previously known Safe Houses)

To heighten their reflexes, the Agents engage in an exercise called "Pass the Grenade" (a popper is tossed from kid to kid like Hot Potato to the Mission Impossible Theme.  When the music stops, the kid with the popper, pulls the pin/string, effectively" blowing it up" and sits down)


We then assigned code names.  Each Agent was called up to pick a slip of paper from 2 different containers.  When the 2 words were read together, these became their Code Names. Agent Daddy collected the ID cards from the processing basket and wrote on the Code Names as they were drawn. 



He slipped the cards into a plastic sleeve and clip and handed them to each Agent.
Here is Maggie's...


The Agents were informed that the Puzzler had stolen the Goody Bags!


...but he left a clue behind.  Agents were split into 3 teams and given their first clue.
Jim and I stayed up all night getting this next part ready.  We had 6 stations that sent the kids in revolving fashion on to the next.  We had 3 sets of clues (1  for each team) and started them at different points.

I apologize I don't have many photos of this part...it was quick paced...and we had to employ the help of my family to man the stations and give instructions where needed.  My Dad is the family photographer and we made the mistake of putting him to work....oops!  Lack of sleep...I just wasn't thinking clearly :)

One station was a Laser Room made with curling ribbon.


I know it's hard to see back there.  We had them do an L of tummy crawling, side stepping and ducking over and under...they found the clue on the piano with their team # on it, then exited by crawling under the table.  They loved this so much, they all did it a few more times after the mystery was solved....
...and held a secret meeting...


In their envelopes, there was an encrypted code and a riddle that lead them to the next station. There, they found a legend to decipher the code.  This lead them out to the front yard where my Hubby was waiting for them.They had to tumble over a mattress put in the grass and over to the ammo/water balloons to bust open the Puzzler's lair.
(Again, I'm sorry I don't have pictures!)

From there, they were told to go to the bathroom (not actually go to the bathroom, Sillies....but just step into the room) where a backwards message told them to look under the sink.  A tape recorded alligator roar was waiting for them when they pushed play.
This sent them to the Alligator Swamp.  See the sign there on the right...


This was placed in the side yard.  Stepping stones and balance beams were placed over a blue tarp lagoon.  The team members had to all make their way to the end and place their hands inside a bucket of grubs (elbow noodles) to capture an insect (rubber, of course) and their next clue.

This sent them to our laundry room where this clue was waiting for them:

In the light,
   you’re as blind as can be...
But in the dark, 
you can clearly see!
(all our clues rhymed like this....no wonder we were up all night...sheesh!)

They had to figure out to turn off the light.  A black light then made a clue glow where there was just a blank page before.

This one had (a picture of a pie) - e + (a picture of a can) - c + o
They had to figure out this says PIANO which led them to the piano room where the Lasers were.

With each new envelope received from completing a task, a puzzle piece was included.
When all the Agents went through all the stations, they met in the debriefing room again to put together their puzzle pieces.


They had to all work together as 1 big team now.  The riddle indicated that the Puzzler lured them all into this room so that he could destroy HQ with a bomb drop!


My Hubby reached up and undid the tape holding 80 black water balloon sized balloons (filled with air, mind you, I'm not that nuts...haha!) and the kids had to stomp them out.
A last clue was read saying that the Puzzler was baffled that we escaped and gave us back our treat bags out of respect....until next time....mwuahahaha!!


The Goody Bags were brown lunch sacks sealed with Top Secret stickers I made with that handy 'ol Xyron Machine. 
Inside were these cool pretend passports from Oriental Trading Company.
Compass rings
Play money
Chocolate coins
Mustache Pops
A magnifying glass
Smarties
A pencil that said "Operation Birthday Team Member"
...and a stick on mustache...like this :)


The kids had a blast!
....and when they all left, Jim and I had long overdue naps!

Happy Birthday, Maggie!  We love you!


A super, duper big hug goes out to my wonderful family and dear friends for their help in pulling this off...
...and to my brilliant Husband for making it all work!

Still recovering from Birthday Madness,
Cam

28 comments:

Micki Wilde said...

Cam this needs to be said.......you are officially the coolest mum ever!!!!

OMG how much effort did you put into all of that? that is one lucky kiddo you've got there, I bet they all loved it, next time though you have to invite me ;o)

X

Carmen said...

Jaw dropping detail! Maggie is a very lucky girl! I love all her spy poses :D She looks so tall! When did that happen?

Diane said...

This....is a Birthday Party!! YOu need to be a party planner--this is wonderful!!

Lisa Graham said...

OK Cameron...you are like the best birthday party guru ever! What a fun thing for Maggie and all the kids (and adults)!

Dianie said...

What a fantastic birthday party!!!
Looks like Maggie and the other kids had a great time :)

~Diane

Sartassa said...

That's simply amazing! and I though my mom made a lot of effort for my birthdays :D Themed parties are the best!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Oh, man! I wish I had birthday parties like this! :) Happy Birthday to you girl! :)

PiaRom said...

what a joy to read all the yummy things that goes on on the cooles birthdayparty ever!! •*¨*•♫♪ ░H░A░P░P░Y░ (¯''•.¸*♥♥♥* ¸.•''¯) ░B░I░R░T░H░D░A░Y░ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*¸.•*¨`*ི♥ྀ░T░O░░Y░O░U░MAGGIE♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥
and congrats to you Cameron for such an amazing event to happen :)

PiaRom said...

PS the coolest pic is "Agent Maggie in her Field Uniform" :)

trisha too said...

AWESOME!!

What a fun party!

:-)

Karen Isaacson said...

I bow down! sheer genius.

Dear Fireflies said...

Goodness, I want to be your kid too!!!! Seriously, if I had a birthday party like this, I would want to hug and kiss my parents till all eternity and beyond. LOL!

Maggie is a lucky girl. ;o)

Unknown said...

I bet Maggie and all her friends had a wonderful time! What planning this must have taken. I know Maggie will remember this and tell her babies all about how her mom was so cool and threw wonderful parties for her! Good for you!

Joyce van der Lely said...

What an AMAZING party !!!! You throw the BESTEST events agent C. !!!! Happy Birthday to Midnight Fox ♥♥♥

Kristin said...

OMG! Seriously! THAT is the coolest birthday EVER! What a creative mom you are! And thank you for taking us on this journey, xoxo

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Wow, Cam! This party looks like it was a huge success...and WHAT FUN!!!! A spy-themed birthday!!!! Who hasn't wanted to be one (I also wanted to be one like Jennifer Garner's character on Alias). Thank you for sharing these fabulous photos!!!

Treehugger_31 said...

Awesome party!!! I had a huge grin on my face as I read this and looked at the pictures!

Jennifer Michelle said...

I never had themed birthdays as a kid, so to me this is AMAZING. Maggie is such a lucky girl! Happy birthday to her! She's at the best age for creativity and wackiness I think ;) So happy to see how everything panned out so beautifully.

Thank you as well for spending time with me yesterday! It was wonderful and I felt truly uplifted afterwards. Definitely something we will have to do again!

Carrie Martinez said...

You are now my kid party mentor--this is fabulous! Great ideas down to the smallest detail--Bravo! My boys would love all of it :) Happy Birthday, Maggie...your party definitely gets my vote for coolest birthday theme (plus I am a James Bond fan :)

Carrie Martinez said...

You are now my kid party mentor--this is fabulous! Great ideas down to the smallest detail--Bravo! My boys would love all of it :) Happy Birthday, Maggie...your party definitely gets my vote for coolest birthday theme (plus I am a James Bond fan :)

Carrie Martinez said...

You are now my kid party mentor--this is fabulous! Great ideas down to the smallest detail--Bravo! My boys would love all of it :) Happy Birthday, Maggie...your party definitely gets my vote for coolest birthday theme (plus I am a James Bond fan :)

Hybrid J said...

This is absolutely amazing and sooooo fun. Just plain fab! ;) ;)

Geri said...

You definitely need to be a party planner or at least write a book on party themes!!!

WrightStuff said...

Oh boy! How much fun does this look? Just amazing. I want a party like this!!!

Wini said...

What an incredible Birthday Party!! The planning is fantastic and it looks like the kids had an amazing time. Thanks for sharing this, I was hugely entertained!

Kristin said...

Thank you for your sweet comments! I'm sorry for the delay in responding, I was at my Mom's for Mother's day weekend - I hope you had a happy one too Mama! xoxo

Fallingladies said...

Wow, you are the coolest, your daughter will be talking about this party for years and years. You've been very busy. My parents had parties like this for me when i was a kid and my friends couldn't wait each year.!

Carmen Esposito said...

This was awesome! I wanted to be part of it and decipher the clues. Great job! By the way, my birthday is in August. Just saying...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...