background

Monday, March 5, 2012

ZooTube - Lessons 4 and 5


Hello my Drawing Darlings!
Since these 2 Lessons are Part I & II of a Day at the Zoo, I lumped them here as one.  As much as going to a real zoo and leisurely sketching all afternoon sounds like bliss.....it really is an impossible task right now.  Not just for time constraints, but having a kid that expects to go with you, then zooms through it so quickly, you barely have a moment to read the plaques....it really makes taking a sketchbook useless :)

So I decided to use some movies we've taken of our past visits to zoos. Heck, we go to, at least, 3 zoos and 2 Aquariums every Summer during our 7 week camping excursions....should be plenty of videos to be found.

Turns out we have 2 movies.  That's it. Just 2.

So, this is from Petting Farm footage....


I know we are not supposed to erase....but I was really having trouble with the legs and the ears on this little goat.  Videos are harder to work from than I imagined because the camera doesn't necessarily stay where your eye wants to...
We also had a movie we took of 2 bears wrestling...here's my bear ( not a wolf, as my daughter insisted it was...haha!)


So, after exhausting my resources...I was off to the amazing, yet perverted world of YouTube.  It's astonishing to me how many videos of animals mating (and worse) come up when you are looking for zoo or wild animal footage...sheesh!

I did happen on some clean and perfectly suitable ones to use to sketch these...

Parrot

Have you ever seen a skunk run?  It's the cutest thing :)

I must've watched that tiger roar 5 times...this was the best I could do.

Bunny

This little guy is Peabody the Tawny Owl.  I drew this from "Peabody's Bathtime".  I'm not going to include the video here cuz it's long, and frankly, uneventful in getting a good view of him....but, I wasn't going to waste over 2 minutes of watching and not get something...haha!

A video I will include here for your viewing pleasure is this:


What a cutie!  Just look at those eyelashes!
Here's my favorite sketch of the day :)

I chose videos over my pets because I was tired of drawing cats....haha!  Not that tired, afterall!

I can't wait to see what your drawings look like!  Please link up here to share:




Remember to get out some 3 x 5 inch index cards for Lesson 6.

*Puts pencil in mouth to throw arms around you*
Cameron

15 comments:

Shayla said...

I've always wanted this book. It looks like a lot of fun!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

That chita is so cute! :) What a great job on all the sketches. I would love to see you sketch some of them mating though. :)) You should try it and share it with us. :))

Kristin said...

Okay, so much good stuff here!!
First of all, your drawings are so awesome! I am so impressed! And the idea of you looking for zoo videos (and can we talk about 7 weeks of camping?!) to do your assignment cracks me up. I would totally do that too ;) I LOVE the tiny babe in the video too (that roar is so sweet) and my favorite drawing is the owl. She's so stinkin' cute!!!
AND yay grass! Your house looks gorgeous ;) xoxo

Treehugger_31 said...

I know firsthand how cute a skunk is when it runs! Lol. Marigold loves running from me (so that I will chase her...little booger). ;) I was thinking of drawing Mari for this lesson since it's too cold for the zoo.
I've dropped the ball on this drawing lab thing. I do have some lessons done but I keep forgetting to post them! Hahaha.

DolceDreams said...

Your talent is so inspiring! I have never been good at sketching, and so admire those that can...
Thank you so much for your visit and kind comment, it means alot!
xo, Nathalie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the parrot and the owl! You are very good with birds and they are some of my favorite things to draw! ♥

PiaRom said...

oohh sooooo cute this little Cheetah ♥ and your owl she is to smooch for :-)
Thank you for your inspirering lessons

Joyce van der Lely said...

Oh Cameron this is wonderful ! I love reading about all the excersizes and wish to do them (one day) I just seem to make more and more things for myself to do...Just had the exchange student leave and now I found this shop to decorate....and OPEN ! But I will stop by here and enjoy waht you do from this book, thanks for sharing with us xoxoxo and "Hi" to Miss M of course :) ♥♥♥

Getrealmommy said...

How fun. I'm sad that I have been to the zoo so many times that I'm just sick of it now. I feel sorry for my baby, he will never get to go :(

Wyanne Thompson said...

I love your sketches! They are wonderful! You captured their personalities so great!

Terri Smith said...

Hi Cameron! Your Drawings Are Phenomenal! Truly. I Know The Importance Of Structuring Thru The Initial Drawing ~ A Practice That Pulls Everything Else Together. Good Job! And I Also Want To Thank You For Visiting My Place Earlier. Your Kind Words Offer Me Encouragement During The Learning Phase Of This Newest Exploration With Clay. Girl ~ It's So Much Fun! Like Being A Kid Again. Love & Sunshine, Terri

Theresa MacNaughton said...

You're having such a great time with this book!!!! All your sketches are so cool. :) I, of course, have a fondness for that owl! :)

Jennifer Michelle said...

Yes! These look awesome! I especially love the skunk. I don't know why I love them so much, they're stinky, but they're really cute!

amy said...

Karen from I Am Rushmore directed me here...I just got this book and just so happened to visit the zoo (and post about it) yesterday. She suggested I link up. So I hope it's okay I joined in!

(I love the book so far! What a fun idea, to link up the lessons.)

Caz said...

Oh I love the zoo :-) and your sketches are lovely!! I liked the roaring tiger one best!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...