background

Monday, November 21, 2011

Elixir of the Gods!

....or what we, in my household, otherwise call COFFEE :)
Who am I kidding?
I'm the only one who drinks the stuff....the one who panics when the cream gets low...the one who doesn't care how loud the whirring of the bean grinder is on the weekends.....the one who devotes an entire cabinet to the storage and display of coffee and tea, mugs, sugar, filters....everything I need in one spot perched above the coffeemaker....

I LOVE coffee!!!
It is the one ritual that defines my mornings...
....even when it's 100 degrees outside...
...even when camping (I make it in a French press)...
I have to, want to, look forward to having a cup...every morning!

So when my suggestion for a theme was chosen over at Butterfly Effect this week....
You guessed it!  Coffee or Tea.
I couldn't wait to create something...
Now, I've made art about my love of Joe before...

You can read that post here...

But that was before I learned all the nifty mixed media techniques I know now....so I wanted to make something specifically for it  ;0)

Betty over at Pinkglitterfae Art gave me the idea to alter a board book...

You see, Maggie's school has been saving their damaged books for me.  I witnessed them throwing them away once and just had to come to the rescue.
Humpty Dumpty, true to his story, couldn't be put back together again...
So I used his pages as my substrate....
First sanding....

Then gessoing....
Does anyone else uses this gesso?  It is a serious upper body workout trying to squeeze this stuff out, it's soooo thick!
After it dried, I thought the shape was perfect for this!




Does it make you want a cup?  Makes me wish I had an actual cup like that!
If you want this one, it's in the shop :)

While looking for something to write on this piece, I came across some great coffee related sayings.
I might need to make more just to use them...haha!

"Coffee: Creative Lighter Fluid"
"A morning without coffee is like sleep"
"Forever....the time it takes that first pot of coffee to brew in the morning"
"Coffee smells like freshly ground Heaven"

...and my favorite by Josephine Baker,
"He was my cream, and I was his coffee -and when you poured us together it was something"

Hopefully you'll be able to link up and play along, too!
Here's wishing all my Buddies in the States have a fantastic Thanksgiving...
Have lots of pie....
...and coffee to go with it!

Hugs to all my Bloggy Friends everywhere!
Cam


22 comments:

Carol said...

Oh!!!!! A kindred coffee addict :0) Love your post and those coffee quotes are fantastic. Checked out your previous post on coffee too and feel safe that my brain will remain functional for at least 100 years after the rest of my body give up :0)
Love what you did with good ole Humpty too .

SaraLynnArt said...

Ok, what you've done with this old book is SO cool! I work in a library and we do need to recycle old ruined books, but I've never thought of painting on the covers before!

And, of course, the painting is so beautiful! I love the textures and colors here. It makes me feel so cozy! <3

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Hi Cam!!! :) I LOVE coffee, too. Can't live without it. I feel lost when I don't get to have a morning cup or two. I really adore your altered board book. It's so whimsical and I adore the design on the mug itself. :) Three cheers for coffee!

Jennifer Michelle said...

Cameron,
You are so incredibly talented. I always love looking at your new pieces. They are always so beautiful. I use that gesso too, it's tough stuff! That last piece would be perfect for a kitchen, it's delightful!

Love,
Jenn

Micki Wilde said...

mmmm coffee!!
I Love coffee and I love your artwork Cam, what a great shape of book to work on too, lucky you snaffling those cast off books like that ;o)

WrightStuff said...

OK, so now I am on my way downstairs to put the kettle on...

I love love love this - you clever girl!!

Gina said...

That is BRILLIANT!!!! I would never have thought of using a broken book like that...and the image is mouthwatwering! I love the smell of coffee, but like Amy, can't drink it(though I do treat myself on frosty nights sssshhh!) :D XXX

Raven Moon Magic said...

Ohh now I understand the board book thing, that is so cool, have no idea what I was thinking before, and it is such a cool board too, I love the doilie! (of course I do) I will have to go hunt some board books now, thanks for the inspiration. As you know I dont do coffee, only decaf teas but ooohhh a cup of tea. My mother never let me drink tea, I was going to graduate to that when I got my period????? WTF??? yeah I know she has some strange ideas! so when I was allowed I didnt want to, much to her dismay, I think she thought we would finally get together drink tea and talk about our periods??haha naah I dont know but it wasent until I was about 21 and working in a work place that had no hot chocolate that I was a bit stuffed so just had to do it, and never looked back. whats your coffee story?? it just seems so hard to drink, smells yum but tastes blahh to me.
Im off to check out the butterfly thingame jigg, maybe even play along for once, I do have the next two days free!

off to make a tea, yes the picture truly does work

xxx
sheree

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

I love that shape! It's perfect for a steaming coffee. :)

pinkglitterfae said...

Wow Cameron you really rocked that altered book! I never thought of using the odd shaped ones - I only stuck with the plain and simple square ones, lo9l! buy you have taken it to another level. I love this painting of yours, you've used some cool techniques.

I've never understood how people couldn't enjoy coffee. It's more than a drink, it is a ritual. I sure love my coffee, and no day is complete without it.And is smells so darn good too:-D
ps- you are a doll for mentioning me, I'm so happy that you tried the board books. I'm just like you, I put these inspirational ideas in my little head, and one day I find time to try something out

blessings
betty

Carmen said...

That book page is perfect, just perfect - you'd never have thought Humpty was under there would you!

Gorgeous piccie too. Is that cup hand painted?

Unknown said...

I don't drink coffee but i have to say... You are talented!
Thanks so much for your comment. I have the diabetes under control and your friend is right. This is so hard! I can't wait for the baby to be out anyways.LOL
Happy Thanksgiving to you and loved ones!!
Hugs
Isabelle

Erin K said...

So awesome what you've done with this book! And it came out so lovely too. I can imagine this sitting in a little cafe. ^^ I had to go make come coffee as I read this, yup I think I'm as addicted to the stuff as you are. lol... It's not just mum's that can give you wings...it's coffee too. heehee..

Clare said...

Hi Cameron, identify totally with your addition to coffee, although I prefer what my husband calls 'plastic coffee' aka - instant - I know - it's a sin -. I love how you have upcycled the board book and produced a stunning picture. I think the use of the dollie is so clever - every element in the picture works so well. And the unicorns - they are wonderful, - I just love unicorns. My Katie had a dream about unicorns one night and when she woke up she asked me 'mom, what do you feed a unicorn?' Have a wonderful weekend - and enjoy the coffee - I'm off to make me an instant cuppa now.

Karen Isaacson said...

I love that you take your french press camping. I would too (if I camped!). I brought my whole grind & brew set up with my to both of our rental houses this summer. can't settle for bad coffee! Your page is so beautiful! Is that a real doily? looks like it. computer screens never do justice to texture.

Wini said...

Hi Cameron, What a lovely piece!! I love how you have taken the old book and turned it in to such a delightful tribute to coffee!! I love the decoration on the coffee cup, the doily and the writing. Everything goes together really well. Have a lovely day!! Wini xo

Lisa Graham said...

I love the color and texture of your coffee art work! I wish it wasn't so late because a cup of coffee sounds great about now!

miruspeg said...

Hello my clever coffee drinking friend!
What a delightful post to read. Using those damaged books for your art is fantastic. You never do anything by half measures and I love you for it.
Have a great week
Big hugs
Peggy xxxxx

Unknown said...

Yes i am also an addict. I loved this post so much, I had to buy it. I can smell the aroma coming my way now...lol.
Kyles:D

Geri said...

I love this Cam and the play on words too - great job!

Kristin said...

Oooh, this is SO awesome!! I LOVE the board book surface (makes me want to steal an old book of Kendra's ;) and the art itself is absolutely gorgeous - such wonderful colors and textures!
AND I TOTALLY AGREE with you - as a matter of fact, you just described me to a T - I am the one who drinks it, freaks out if I'm out of Coconut Creamer (good one, hugh?) and I also have a whole cabinet dedicated to it.
There's only one (major in my life) problem: I've changed my eating habits and now HAVE NO CREAM! Eeek - I never thought it would happen - black coffee!? You gotta be kidding me! Well, it's been a month now, and I'm getting used to it - having some now as we speak . . . xoxoxo

Heather Henry said...

I adore coffee, as well. Love this post and the gorgeous art you made out of a board book. Fantastic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...