background

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Pretty Paper Posies

Hello Everyone! 

So happy to sneak in some time to visit with you this weekend...a rare treat, indeed!  I must warn you that my Husband and Daughter are both enjoying Spring Break this week, so we'll be out more than usual doing fun things together........and will be negotiating who gets the computer when we're home :)  We'll see if I get to do a blog post at all this week...haha!

I was in the mood to make something pretty lately and happened upon this video on YouTube for a
Paper Flower Tutorial .  I loved learning how to fold the paper circles and cut them to make different petal shapes....

Take a gander :)

I dyed coffee filters and used those as the bottom layer...I added lots of layers of varying patterned papers that I colored with watercolor.

I chose decorative brads for the centers...these are button brads.

...and was sure to include glitter, somewhere!

So, after I made them, I was thinking I'd adhere some handy dandy alligator clips and be done...
...but, no clips to be found!  (You know they'll show up in a couple weeks just to taunt me...haha!)

So, in the interest of really wanting to stop buying new/more craft supplies, I decided I would use the mounds of scrapbook paper, and ribbon....and other goodies I have at hand instead...
I made a tussie mussie flower cone!

Traditionally used to celebrate the 1st of May, these hung from doorknobs to surprise friends and neighbors with flowers or treats.   
I wasn't sure how to disguise the seam of paper on the back, so I added another, smaller flower...
I'd be elated if someone filled one of these up and left it on my doorstep.  How about you?

The 21 Secrets course opened up yesterday...hope to have lots of fun stuff to show you!

All my flowery best,
Cameron

16 comments:

Micki Wilde said...

Those are wonderful, I can honestly say i've never heard the words 'tussie mussie' before now,
You learn something new everyday ;)

Carmen said...

I've never heard of tussie mussie either but what a lovely tradition!

Diane said...

This is wonderful!! And thank you so much for sharing the you tube link!

JessiVille said...

Stunning! These are so beautiful they take my breath away! And the tussie mussie is gorgeous! Yes, I would love to have these left on my door on May day! I will check out that link for sure. Thank you for sharing such beauty with us.

Janet Bocciardi said...

Wow - those are beautiful! Upcycle, reuse: art! - who knew?!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Is there anything you CAN'T do, Cameron? :) These flowers and the tussie mussie are so fabulous. :) Love them bunches. :) I also like the new blog look. Have fun with 21 Secrets. I was sad that I could not participate this time. Although I hear it will be up until July - so maybe I can join up later. Take care! Theresa

Melissa said...

Tussie MussieRIFIC! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

Hybrid J said...

Gorgeous!!! You're so good with your handcraft. Simply beautiful! :)

miruspeg said...

Cameron you are a wonderful creative soul. Your attention to detail is fantastic.
As always it is a real treat visiting your blog.
Big hugs
Peggy xxxx

Kristin Dudish said...

Those flowers are fabulous! I love the idea of hanging them on someone's doorknob! (And I would definitely be thrilled to have one hanging from mine!)

xo
Kristin

trisha too said...

Cameron, these are awesome flowers--I'm going to make some!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

:)

Jennifer said...

Cameron,those flowers are beautiful and make me long for Spring. Thanks for such a great idea!

Nancy Y said...

Gorgeous Flowers!! Love your tussie mussie ~ and YES, I'd be thrilled to find a treasure like that on my doorknob!!!
Hope you have a fun week!
Nancy xx :D

Shayla said...

I want to make some and put them all over my house!!! GREAT POST! Two thumbs up right hurrr

Jessica said...

Your flowers came out wonderful. Very pretty.

Peach Street said...

See, this is where I would get lazy and let my Silhouette do the work for me. But isn't it so much more gratifying when you do it ALL yourself? I think so!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...